The following information should assist ASRF members with arranging either Full Registration or Club Permit log book status for their ASRF-eligible vehicle.

Cars that are deemed essentially standard require only a current RWC.

Car modified beyond VicRoads standard VSI 8 “Guide to Modifications for Motor Vehicles” also require a VASS Engineers report.

View VSI 8 

Anyone holding a Victorian driver’s licence can obtain full registration for their modified car or street rod in Victoria. No club affiliation is required.

Full registration for private motor cars costs around $700-$750 per year.

The Club Permit System is popular with those who use their older cars less often.

To have access to VicRoads 45 and 90 day Club Permit (Log Book) system you need to be a member of an Approved Club (in our case the Australian Street Rod Federation).

To be eligible the car must be at least 25 years old.

There are no restrictions to when or where you can drive on Club Permit plates to anywhere in Australia (except WA where a local permit is required)

ASRF Membership

The ASRF has two types of Members.

  1. those who are part of the "Charter Clubs"

view the CLUBS page for a club near you

Charter Club membership is handled by the relevant local hot rod / custom club.

2. "Individual Members" who do not wish to belong to a local club or attend meetings.

Individual Membership Application can be done online by filling in your personal details; then a PayPal form will take a credit card payment. A few days later your new members pack will arrive in the mail.

view ASRF Membership application

Full Registration for Street Rods in Victoria

Street Rods with original chassis are inspected and tested by your LV approved VASS Engineer to Dotars code VSB 14,  and are treated as “Modified Production Vehicles”. VicRoads deem that 2 original chassis rails and two original cross-members are required for a Street Rod to be considered original chassis. 

view VSB 14

Repro Rods are classified as Individually Constructed Vehicles (ICV'S).

To pass ICV rules a Repro Rod will require things like a late model ADR engine, thus the ASRF SR Permit scheme which accepts reproductions with older engines and less restrictive power to weight rules is very attractive if you are planning less than 90 days driving per year.

ASRF Club Plate Registration

The ASRF Victorian Division allows members with cars that are 25 years old or older (both modified and standard) to access club plates.

However, as the ASRF is predominantly for pre 1965 Street Rods and Customs, access to the system for later cars is intended to assist Members who have a variety of cars in their collections. Therefore post 65 non-ASRF classified cars are not always accepted by every club or rod run.

Club Permit H plates (historic)

Issued to standard cars produced post 1930.

Pre 1949 standard cars require either a regular RWC or Club Safety Inspection by the ASRF delegate.

Post 1948 standard cars are now only accepted with a full RWC

(VicRoads requirement from 1 Feb 2015)

VicRoads have produced a new Vehicle Safety Inspection regulation specifically for H plates cars, referred to as VSI 33

VSI 33 allows some exemptions and extra modifications above VSI 8 to assist enthusiasts where parts are unavailable or where a modification is very common and not in the realm of requiring a dedicated VASS Report.

view VSI 33

Club Permit M plates (modified)

Issued to modified cars produced post 1948.

Post 48 cars require a RWC and an Engineers Report issued by any LV approved VASS Engineer to National Code of Practice VSB 14 

view VSB 14

Club Permit SR plates (street rod)

Issued to modified cars produced pre 1949 (including Repro Rods).

Inspected by any of twelve current SR1 or SR2 level VASS Engineers to the National Street Rod Guidelines (NSRG)

view NSRG

Any SR1 Engineer can do SR2 approvals

Please note that VicRoads have extra rules re collapsible steering columns, upward visibility, and brake fade testing.

SR1 Inspections are for newly built Rods that have never previously been on the road as a Street Rod. As such they require

1/ a full examination during construction,

2/ final approval when completed and

3/ a brake fade test, performed by any SR1 Approved VASS to the current NSRG.

SR2 Inspections are for cars having a previous history as a pre 1949 street rod including previous Vic SR, Vic full registration, interstate club system, or interstate full registration.

For SR2 the car should be checked to be the same as its original approval, and still in a safe and roadworthy condition. Upgrading to the current NSRG and brake tests are not required, and non-engineering related changes are accepted.

Cars that can be shown to have been registered as a street rod before the Engineers Report system was introduced (around 1983) are also accepted, provided they have the same specification as at the time of first registration as a street rod.

VASS Engineers Contacts.

view SR1, SR2 and LV VASS Engineers contact details 

Peter Koning does SR2 inspections and VASS Reports to assist ASRF members

Building your Modified Car

There is no need to contact VicRoads to discuss your planned modified vehicle.

The VASS Engineer is authorised to consult and assist you and his Engineering Report is the arbitrary requirement at registration time.

You might wish to discuss your plans with the VASS before beginning your project, and he will usually want to check the unpainted rolling chassis/body whilst it is still easy to make changes. When your project is completed the VASS will check, test and approve the finished car, then issue you an Engineering Report for your chosen form of registration or Club Permit for VicRoads.

Applying for Full Registration

For full registration make an appointment and take the car with your ownership papers, VASS Report (if applicable) and a RWC to your local VicRoads Branch where the clerk checks the paperwork details match the car and issues your plates. 

As well as charges for Registration and Third Party Insurance there will be Stamp Duty payable.

Your registration may be reviewed by head office as part of their usual VASS audit system but VicRoads should only query your registration if there are obvious discrepancies.

Applying for Club Permit

After obtaining your VSB 14 or SR1/SR2 VASS Report (where applicable) you will need either a "Club Safety Inspection" (CSI) by an approved ASRF Inspector or get your own RWC. Either is acceptable.

The ASRF Inspector will sign off the Club Permit Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration (VESD)

view Club Permit VESD

The ASRF Inspector will sign off the Club Permit Application

view Club Permit Application

You then take your VASS Report, CSI (or RWC) and signed Club Permit VESD & Application paperwork into your local VicRoads branch. There is no need to make an appointment or present the vehicle.

Club Permits currently cost around $142 per year for 90 days and $71 for 45 days. Stamp Duty is not paid on Club Permits.

H and M plates are now kept at all VicRoads branches.

SR plates are currently posted to you from Head Office and take approx. 2 weeks to receive, however we are advised it is acceptable to drive from the day you pay with just the receipt and no plates for the time being.

Fees and Charges

From July 1st 2016 the following ASRF Vic Club Permit paperwork fees will apply.

a/ All Club Permit annual renewals requiring signature by an authorised ASRF signatory will be charged $10.00 which should be included when posting the renewal to them or when seeing them in person. This fee is to go to ASRF Vic in its entirety.

b/ All New Applications requiring SR/H/M plate paperwork will cost $100

c/ All Pre 49 Safety Inspections will cost $250. This includes the Vehicle Safety Report and all application paperwork for either a standard car or to go with an SR1 VASS Report by an outside engineer.

d/ Full SR2 VASS Report including Safety Report for transfer of an existing fully registered street rod to SR plates or to a new owner will cost $300. If the owner supplies a RWC then this becomes $250.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.